> Please forgive the hodge-podge look of my website as I make some changes. Check back in a few days to see the final result.
 

High Hopes For Senators' Fans


The picture that launched a thousand dreams

Jim Lemon was fired as manager of the Senators after the 1968 season. Bob Short was looking for an immediate draw, and, seeing no key trades that could be made, went after Ted Williams. The word leaked out about a week before the signing. Yeah, right. Ted Williams. Managing the Senators. Uh-huh. We then went on about our business.

I learned about Ted Williams coming to the Senators on Warner Wolf's channel 9 sports broadcast. He had a smile as wide as Montana. Man. Maybe this might finally change our luck.

This picture appeared in the Washington Post that first spring training. It was the first photo any of us had seen of Ted in a Senators uniform. The next day, I saw a picture of Frank Howard with #33 on his back. What? Hondo wore #9. Oh, wait a minute. That was Ted's number in Boston Howard graciously gave Williams his number.

William's magic lasted that one season. That was enough for me. The '69 Senators have provided me a lifetime of memories that help me get through the tough times. Heck, if Eddie Brinkman could hit .266, then I could do anything.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?